Cheshire Homes India
Mainstreaming people with disabilities through vocational training & placement, incliusive education, healthcare, advocacy and provide elderly a life of dignity.
Work and Achievements
Cheshire Homes, a unique institution, has its genesis in the aftermath of the human tragedy caused by World War II. Group Captain Leonard Cheshire, a highly decorated air force pilot, was an observer at the nuclear bombing of Nagasaki in 1946 after which he decided to devote his life to set up Homes for the disabled and other victims of the war.
The first Homes he set up outside UK were in India starting with Bombay in 1956 which was followed by a series of Homes across India. Today there are 23 Cheshire Homes in India. Each of these homes are independent, managed by its own management board , serving the cause of the disabled, the terminally ill and the elderly. They are linked to the Leonard Cheshire Disability (LCD), an international organization, through the Cheshire Homes India-National Council.
Cheshire Homes have been expanding their activities to serve a larger number of people with disability through Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) program, such as Access to Health, Livelihood Training and Employment, Inclusive Education and Advocacy to sensitise the Government and the public at large. Today, the Cheshire Services in India reach out to around 20,000 persons in a year with disabilities directly across India. For further details, please logon to our websites:www.cheshireindia.org / www.cheshiredisability.org / www.cheshirehomeblr.in.
Our 5 major programs are executed in the following locations:
- <u>Residential Care:</u>Bangalore, Burnpur, Chandigarh, Chennai, Coimbatore, Coorg, Dehradun, Delhi, Jamshedpur, Lucknow, Madurai, Mangalore, Mukampala, Mumbai, Prakasam, Ranchi, Serampore, Trivandrum, Tollygunge, Tuticorin, Vellore.
- <u>Livelihood Training and Employment:</u>Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Serampore, Mumbai, Lucknow, Dehradun, Delhi
- <u>Access to Health:</u>Mumbai, Chandigarh, Andhra Pradesh, Trivandrum
- <u>Inclusive Education:</u>Coorg, Dehradun, Serampore, Mumbai, Prakasam
- <u>Advocacy/Young Voices: </u>Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Ranchi, Prakasam
Fund Utilisation Statement
Funds will provide livelihood training and job placements to 2000 youth with disabilities through skill development & adoptive technology.