VAANI, Deaf Children’s Foundation
“VAANI” means ‘sound of the soul’, and we work to bring language into the lives of deaf children and their families and thus enabling them to have meaningful conversations between themselves and the world around them
Work and Achievements
Deafness in itself is not a learning difficulty. Learning difficulties arise when deaf children cannot access communication. An undiagnosed 3-year-old deaf child will only know about 25 words as compared to 700 words for a hearing child. A majority of deaf children grow up in hearing families with little or no experience of deafness, and most parents never learn to fully communicate with their children. There are no other organisations in India that address Childhood Deafness.
Vaani integrates itself at the grassroots level within communities and works towards identifying a deaf child as early on in their life as possible. We train our Teachers of the Deaf with specialised technical methods to bring language and comprehension into the lives of not only deaf children but also their families. We then create an empathetic and enthusiastic environment for every deaf child and empower their families to nurture it.
- VAANI reached a total of 27000 beneficiaries through various types of programmes across the length and breadth of India
- In 2009, members of the Indian and Sri Lankan cricket teams, including Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly, came together to help raise funds for Vaani, Deaf Children's Foundation. The event was conceptualised and made possible by former test cricketer Arun Lal.
- VAANI won the eNGO award for its use of Information and Communication Technology to advocate issues around childhood deafness. We were also chosen as one of the Top-Rated Non-Profits for 2012 by GreatNonprofits.
- In 2013, VAANI was recognised as a National Technical Agency on Childhood Deafness by SSA under the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- In 2014, VAANI established a unique public-private-NGO partnership. For the first time ever, a MoU has been signed to work through GOA Ministries of Social Justice and Empowerment,
Fund Utilisation Statement
The funds raised through the TCS World 10k will help 400 Deaf Childrens' Learning materials and Stationary needs; Training materials for the parents; honorarium for our technically trained teachers of the deaf and resource mobilization, management costs for 2017-2018.